My Kansas road trip took me to the state capitol and the Brown vs. Board of Education elementary school.
Quirky highlights included a giant oil driller statue, a cowboy museum, and a gas station with a shady criminal past.
Check out Marilyn Monroe's high heels, the Dalai Lama's sandals, and a pair of mid-1980s "computer shoes."
Road trip highlights from Oklahoma City included the osteology museum, buffalo statues, and the bombing memorial.
The second day of my Kansas road trip took me to weird museums and statues in Wichita.
In Columbus I saw a giant praying mantis statue and a sideways street art version of the Mona Lisa.
Faceless watches, bacon pillows, laser helmets that grow hair, and bushy, manly lip ticklers for everyone!
The Alaska Veterans Memorial is hidden away on a rest stop between Anchorage and Fairbanks.
I rode my first Segway, and I liked it. Join me on a two-wheeled tour of Columbus, Ohio.
Find slim wallets, food trucks and unique ice cream flavors at some of Columbus’s coolest spots.
Go to Pops on classic Route 66 to find soda flavors like buffalo wing, sweet corn, coffee, and maple bacon.
Have you ever seen an “Amish buggy parking only” sign in a parking lot?
While visiting Amish Country, I wanted to seek out genuine conversations with Amish folks, not shallow tourist traps.
About Quirky Travel Guy
Welcome! I’m Scott, a Chicago freelance writer into national parks, offbeat roadside attractions, road trips, urban adventures, and budget travel in the U.S. and beyond.
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL!
Upcoming Quirky Travel Guy Trips
Search this site
- 66 more things I love about Pittsburgh November 28, 2011
- Why I won’t visit museums that don’t allow photography April 18, 2012
- I went to the Mormon Church grounds and they didn’t try to recruit me September 14, 2011
- Trapped: Stuck inside the Mall of America for 12 hours September 17, 2012
- 9 Things You Didn’t Know About the Grand Canyon March 5, 2012
- An unforgettable afternoon at the White House with the First Dog and Michelle Obama’s veggies October 24, 2012
- Road trip day 4: Route 66 highlights in Oklahoma June 17, 2013
- Quirky Attraction: Toronto Shoe Museum June 14, 2013
- Road trip day 3: Raccoon skeletons, buffalo statues and flaming lips in Oklahoma June 12, 2013
- Road trip day 2: Abandoned amusement parks and General Custer’s britches June 10, 2013
- Road trip day 1: Kansas Jayhawks, equality snowmen, and Supreme Court history June 6, 2013
- Scenes from Columbus: Art, food, vintage furniture and the Santa Maria June 3, 2013