The second day of my Kansas road trip took me to weird museums and statues in Wichita.
As recently as 2006, Picher, Oklahoma was a thriving little community. Now it's a toxic ghost town.
Quirky highlights included a giant oil driller statue, a cowboy museum, and a gas station with a shady criminal past.
Check out Marilyn Monroe's high heels, the Dalai Lama's sandals, and a pair of mid-1980s "computer shoes."
Road trip highlights from Oklahoma City included the osteology museum, buffalo statues, and the bombing memorial.
My Kansas road trip took me to the state capitol and the Brown vs. Board of Education elementary school.
In Columbus I saw a giant praying mantis statue and a sideways street art version of the Mona Lisa.
Faceless watches, bacon pillows, laser helmets that grow hair, and bushy, manly lip ticklers for everyone!
The Alaska Veterans Memorial is hidden away on a rest stop between Anchorage and Fairbanks.
I rode my first Segway, and I liked it. Join me on a two-wheeled tour of Columbus, Ohio.
Find slim wallets, food trucks and unique ice cream flavors at some of Columbus’s coolest spots.
Go to Pops on classic Route 66 to find soda flavors like buffalo wing, sweet corn, coffee, and maple bacon.
About Quirky Travel Guy
Welcome! I’m Scott, a Chicago freelance writer into national parks, offbeat roadside attractions, road trips, urban adventures, and budget travel in the U.S. and beyond.
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL!
Upcoming Quirky Travel Guy Trips
Search this site
- 66 more things I love about Pittsburgh November 28, 2011
- Why I won’t visit museums that don’t allow photography April 18, 2012
- I went to the Mormon Church grounds and they didn’t try to recruit me September 14, 2011
- 9 Things You Didn’t Know About the Grand Canyon March 5, 2012
- Trapped: Stuck inside the Mall of America for 12 hours September 17, 2012
- An unforgettable afternoon at the White House with the First Dog and Michelle Obama’s veggies October 24, 2012
- What’s it like to visit a ghost town full of toxic waste? Welcome to Picher, Oklahoma… June 19, 2013
- Road trip day 4: Route 66 highlights in Oklahoma June 17, 2013
- Quirky Attraction: Toronto Shoe Museum June 14, 2013
- Road trip day 3: Raccoon skeletons, buffalo statues and flaming lips in Oklahoma June 12, 2013
- Road trip day 2: Abandoned amusement parks and General Custer’s britches June 10, 2013
- Road trip day 1: Kansas Jayhawks, equality snowmen, and Supreme Court history June 6, 2013